Ten Insider Tips for Enjoying Leaf Season in Asheville, North Carolina, with Apples, Beer, & More!
Posted On Sunday, September 01, 2013
Named by Fodor's and the Today Show as a Best Destination for Fall Foliage, Asheville offers visitors a fantastic display of autumn colors, as well as a wide array of activities and vacation rental cabins with million-dollar views. Signs of fall are all around us - football season has begun, the kids are back in school, and Oktoberfest beers are on tap. Now is the perfect time to plan a cool weather getaway to the mountains of Western North Carolina.
Here's 10 insider tips to help you enjoy leaf season in Asheville:
1) Take a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Wind your way through tunnels and high mountain passes to the top of Mount Pisgah, where you can look out over waves of color stretching for miles. Perfect for motorcycle riding, bicycling, and picnics, the Parkway offers a scenic route through undeveloped stretches of peaceful Blue Ridge vistas.
2) Share the experience with loved ones - or your dog! Somehow the magic of fall feels even better when you're with a best friend. Many Carolina Mornings cabins are pet-friendly, and they're all family friendly!
3) Go for hikes on little known trails. Get off the beaten path to find the best views! Ask locals (like your server at a restaurant) where their favorite trails are; often they're in the same vicinity as the crowded areas, but driving that extra half mile can make the difference between shuffling behind someone or having the woods all to yourself.
4) Pack a jacket for leaf-viewing expeditions. It's time to find your favorite sweater and trade out your flip-flops for hiking boots. Autumn's crisp weather is a refreshing change from the hot summer months. Other items to pack: a camera, a picnic blanket, and a wine opener.
5) Go apple-picking! Many of Western North Carolina's apple orchards will allow you to pick your own, making them taste that much sweeter. Henderson County is the largest apple-producing county in North Carolina, home to JH Stepp Farm's Hillcrest Orchard, Lyda Farms, and Grandad's Apples.
6) Follow The Fall Color Guy on Facebook. This Botany professor at Appalachian State University keeps you up-to-date on the status of the changing colors, plus he boosts your tree knowledge with fun scientific facts!
7) Make reservations for dinner. Autumn is a busy time in Asheville with folks flocking in from around the world to view the famous fall colors of the Blue Ridge. Whether you prefer fine Italian dining at a classy place like Strada, or Southern fare from a local favorite like Tupelo Honey, Asheville has a wide variety of independent restaurants sure to satisfy your appetite.
8) Rent a Carolina Mornings cabin early to ensure a great location. Nothing beats cozying up in front of a roaring fire on a fall night, especially after a long soak in your private hot tub, like the one at Red Wolf shown here. With dozens of luxury homes to choose from, you're sure to find the mountain cabin of your dreams from Carolina Mornings but you better find it soon to ensure availability!
9) Visit a WNC brewery to discover seasonal brews. Highland Brewing celebrates the season with Clawhammer Oktoberfest, or maybe you'd prefer the King Don's Pumpkin Ale from soon-to-be-in-Asheville Catawba Valley Brewing Company. In the mood for a beer party? Get ready for Asheville's very own Oktoberfest, set to take place on Coxe Avenue downtown on October 12th. Step back in time to old-world Germany with bratwursts, folk music, and beers from ten local breweries.
10) Most importantly: slow down, unwind, and enjoy one of the most spectacular scenes in nature. A vacation getaway should be just that - a chance to get away from the hectic pace that life demands. At an elevation of 4,300 feet, a Scenic Wolf Resort log cabin offers the very best Blue Ridge Mountain views (pictured at left and at top).
Sometimes the best memories of all are made by just sitting still. Doctor's orders: find a rocking chair with a view and relax!
Call Carolina Mornings today to reserve your Asheville mountain cabin. A professional Vacation Planner will help line up your vacation rental accommodations, Biltmore House tickets, and outdoor adventures such as ziplining and golf (included with every Carolina Mornings rental!).
Simplify: Enjoy the Luxury of the Mountains!